Van Buren Township

How Do I

Frequently Asked Questions

Report An Air Quality Concern



Have you ever noticed a strong odor, a large amount of smoke, or other air quality concerns but didn’t know who to call? Van Buren Township staff will help direct your concerns to the appropriate agency. While the Township does not have direct regulatory authority over most air quality issues, our staff has been trained to collect complaint information and transmit these concerns to the appropriate agency. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) handles most air quality concerns in the State of Michigan. The MDEQ regulates the emissions from industrial facilities, monitors odors from waste disposal facilities, and has specific guidelines for open burning.

If you notice an air quality concern, such as a strong odor emanating from a facility in the Township or a large amount of smoke, please get in touch with the Township Department of Community Services at (734) 699-8926 during normal business hours (7:00 AM – 5:00 PM), Monday to Thursday or the Department of Public Safety at (734) 699-8930 outside of normal business hours. Township staff will then forward that information to the MDEQ or the appropriate agency for follow-up.
Fill Out the Storm Damage Report Survey

Please fill out the Self-Reporting Survey provided by Wayne County here.
This report is not a guarantee a damage claim will be granted. It is the first step in the process of assessing damages and trying to receive federal or state aid. 

Need a Problem Resolved on a Wayne County Roadway?
Report any road conditions easily online or via the phone.  Be sure to ask for a reference number, so you can use it for follow up. Click here to file a complaint online. 

Wayne County has a 24-hour, toll-free number to report road hazards. Call 1-888-ROADCREW (762-3273, and you will speak with a road maintenance employee who will process your request. 

Examples of road conditions:  bridge, bike path, barricade, chloride, culvert/ditch, dead animal, debris in roadway, drainage/water, dust control, employee actions, fence, gardrail, grass, guardrail, mailbox, manhole cover, oil/fuel spill, pothole, shoulder/curb, sign, snow/ice, traffic signal, tree issues, stump issues, mowing issues and storm damage.
I want to reserve a park pavilion.
Please click here to rent a park pavilion online! 

Pavilion Rentals for residents open January 4  (non-residents can reserve pavilions starting March 1).
When does Yard Waste Collection Begin & End?
Yard Waste pickup BEGINS the first full week of April and ENDS the last full week of November. For more information on yard waste click here. 
I need a Landfill Pass or Yard Waste Sticker, how can I get one?
Landfill passes and yard waste stickers can be obtained at the Township Hall at 46452 Tyler Rd. Monday-Thursday
7 am to 5 pm.
Due to construction, enter through the Clerk’s office entrance and follow directional signs.
Please call 734.699.8926 if you have any questions.
I need a building permit and/or inspection, is that possible?

Yes, The majority of building permit and inspection activities can be completed remotely in coordination with the Building, Planning and Economic Development Department. For more information visit: 


How do I drop off a Property Transfer if the Township is closed?
Property Transfer Affidavits, Principal Residence Exemption and all other assessing forms designated for the Assessing Office should be deposited in the dropbox outside of Township Hall.
How do I pay my water bill or taxes? And can I pay it online?
Residents can pay taxes and water bills online or use the DropBox if they don't want to come into Township Hall. Here are all the ways you can pay:
Tax and utility payments via debit, credit card or Echeck at by clicking here. 
Sign up for automated debit for your utility bill payments by filling out the Automatic Water Bill Payment Form found by clicking here. 
• Dropbox in front of Township Hall – checked daily (checks only please)
• Dropbox located in Public Safety Lobby – checked daily
• Mail in personal checks and/or money orders to: 46425 Tyler Rd.
• Pay by phone (24/7): 866-296-7819 (Tax and Utility Payments)
• Pay by phone (live operator): 888.891.6064. Available M-F, 8am10pm EST
**Please note, when paying online you will be charged a processing fee.
My dogs license expires May 31, how do I get a new one?
Michigan Law requires that all dogs over the age of four months be licensed. The Township Treasurer begins selling dog licenses on April 1.  Senior citizens pay half price. A valid proof of rabies vaccination is required at the time your dog receives its license.  If you would like to mail in your dog license please click here for the application. For more information, please call the Treasury Department at 734-699-8903
I want to make a public comment during a virtual Township Meeting, is that possible?

Yes, to make a public comment you must join the Zoom meeting. For a detailed list of instructions, click here. 


I want to watch a virtual Township meeting and not make a public comment, please help?
Township meetings will stream LIVE on YouTube during the scheduled meeting time, visit: Replays can be found on the YouTube channel, as well as, on Comcast Channel 12 & AT&T Channel 99 at 6pm, daily.
I need food or other assistance, where should I go?
The Township is committed to supporting our at-risk populations. Our website has a list of local resources available to assist our residents seeking food, shelter, utility assistance, mental health resources, un-employment information, small business loans, grants, and more. For more information click here. 
How many COVID-19 cases are in Van Buren Township?
Wayne County has created a COVID-19 Dashboard with important data on case numbers and deaths by age, gender and more. The Dashboard is updated daily. Visit the Wayne County COVID-19 Dashboard by clicking here. 
How do I find information about what the State of Michigan is doing regarding COVID-19?
The State of Michigan’s website is the best place to find resources and Executive Orders. Visit:
I filled out the 2020 Census, where can I find that data?
What are the Municipal Centers room rental rates?