Van Buren Township

Roads Sidewalks Drains & StreetLights


All roads in the Van Buren Charter Township are operated and maintained by Wayne County, the State of Michigan, or private entities.

To learn more about how Wayne County maintains our roads, please visit Wayne County Public Services Township Road Maintenance.

For more information regarding the maintenance of private roads, please visit Wayne County Public Services Roads.

To view the latest Wayne County Road Construction projects, an interactive map of current road projects is available here.

The latest update on the construction of Haggerty Road (from South Van Born to North Ecorse Rd) is available here.


To report concerns about road conditions such as potholes, flooding, "roadkill,"  or any other road blockages, please dial 1-888-ROAD-CREW (1-888-762-3273) 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. 


Private roads are the responsibility of the owners of the properties that front on the road and are typically managed by a Homeowner's Association or similar group.

Please, see the following map from the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) to determine if your road is public or private: SEMCOG ROAD JURISDICTION MAP.

This map includes whether the road is under state, county, city, village, or private ownership. 

Wayne County Road Division Hazard Form


Residential sidewalks are located alongside a road, providing a safe walkway for pedestrians. Van Buren Charter Township code requires all sidewalks within the Township shall be kept and maintained in good repair by the land owner adjacent to and abutting upon it.

For more information, please refer to the Township Ordinance regarding the upkeep and maintenance of sidewalks and whose responsibility:  TOWNSHIP CODE OF ORDINANCE.


Within 24 hours after the end of each accumulation of snow greater than one inch, the owner or occupant of every property zoned residential shall remove the accumulation from the adjacent sidewalk and from all walks and ramps that lead to a marked or unmarked crosswalk.

Within 18 hours after any ice forms, the owner or occupant of every property zoned residential shall treat the ice on the adjacent sidewalk and on walks and ramps that lead to a marked or unmarked crosswalk with sand, salt, or other substance to prevent it from being slippery.

Snow and ice requirements do not apply to any property that is part of the Iron Belle Trail.

For more information, please read the TOWNSHIP CODE OF ORDINANCE.


If you are interested in learning more about Wayne County Drain Easements, Maintenance, Petitioning for Improvement to a County Drain, or Request For Service,  please visit the Wayne County Drains Homepage.

Wayne County Drain Service Request

Street Light Issues

To report an outdoor street light issue, please complete the online form on DTE's website by clicking here. If you have questions about reporting street light trouble,  please call DTE's Community Lighting Group at 1-800-548-4655.

VBT Code of Ordinance Complaints


Tree Trimming Information

Trees are among the most magnificent living objects found in nature. They can make any landscape look serene and brimming with life.

But as beautiful and majestic as they are, trees require some care to maintain their appearance.

To contact the Wayne County Forestry Office, call  1-888-762-3273.
And to determine who is responsible for trimming, please use the following guide:

Wayne County
If the tree resides between the sidewalk and the road.
  If the tree is obstructing the roadway.
  If the Tree Resides on a State/County right-of-way.
Property Owner Responsibility  All other trees that do not meet the above requirements. 

S.A.d.'s (special assessments deferred) 

Special Assessments can be a valuable tool to help residents fund necessary projects for roads, sidewalks, and any other eligible improvements.

A special assessment is a charge against property for a modification that confers a particular benefit to that property different from the advantage enjoyed by the general public. Special assessments are usually placed on the property tax bill.

If you would like to learn more about special assessments or what you need to do to establish one, please get in touch with the Township staff at 734-699-8913 for further information.