Van Buren Township


Facts And Questions

Applying to Van Buren Twp. Job Posting
Van Buren Township's Employment Application and background check for employment packet can be found here.

Submit completed applications to the Human Resources department.
Arrestees/Jail Inmates
If someone you know is arrested by the Van Buren Township Police Department be aware of a few things:

The cells have phones and are available for anyone who is incarcerated. There is a fee for this and will be explained if/when you receive a call.

If you call us we can not tell you what the person or persons were arrested for, we can only say if they are in custody. This is to protect their rights and yours.

Arraignments normally occur around 11:30 AM. It is after this time that releases occur. Arraignments happen via video conference and are not viewable at the police station.

Personal messages cannot be passed along via the dispatch center to anyone in our custody.

If your vehicle was impounded as part of your arrest please read the “My vehicle was impounded” question above for what is required to get the vehicle out of impound. There is a $30 fee to receive a vehicle release form. 

Alcohol arrests have time requirements that must be met before a release is granted. Be aware that this may occur after morning arraignments and may delay the release time.
Background checks
UPDATE: Due to COVID-19 the Records Department hours/staffing has been amended.  At this time, local background checks will not be completed by the Van Buren Police Department records department .

For a background check, you can visit the State of Michigan website: to obtain an ICHAT background check through the State of Michigan.
Car Seat Inspections
  • Inspections are available Monday – Friday by appointment only.
  • Due to demand and resources, this service is available to Van Buren Township residents only.
  • Appointments can be made by contacting Ofc. Ryan Bidwell via e-mail or by calling (734) 699-8930
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there is misuse seen in approximately 73% of all child safety seats in use. According to the CDC over 1200 deaths and approximately 171,000 injuries occur yearly to children 14 and under. The Van Buren Township Public Safety Department is committed to the safety of the children in our community and currently has officers specially trained in the inspection of child restraint systems. The officers will assist residents by inspecting, not installing, child restraint systems.
 For current child seat recalls click here.
Copies of a Police or Crash Report
Visit or contact our Records department for copies of police reports.

  • If you need a copy of a police report that has occurred in the previous two years, the cost is $5 which includes the first 5 pages. There is an additional fee of $1 per page after the first 5.
  • Police reports for incidents that occurred over two years ago are $10 for the first 5 pages with an additional fee of $1 per page after the first 5.
  • Be aware that some reports may be redacted in order to protect other parties privacy.

Copies of traffic crash reports can be obtained on the CLEMIS website: You will need to know your report number in order to obtain a copy of the report. These reports can also be obtained by submitting a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request form. If you do not know your report number, please contact the Records Office at (734) 699- 8939.
What is crime mapping?

It is a visual display that gives a general location of crimes, usually within a specified period, and in a specified area.

Why is crime mapping important?

The weekly crime log is great for looking at crimes that have occurred in the Township. Crime mapping takes those crimes, filters out the traffic stops, assists, and other non-essential information and displays the crimes on a map allowing the viewer to see not only the type of crimes being committed, but more importantly where in relation to areas that are important to you, such as your house, school, or place of business.

When is the map updated?

The map is updated on a daily basis. This update occurs in the overnight hours between 1 AM & 6 AM.

Are all crimes listed?

Some crimes are withheld for investigative purposes. Most traffic crimes are not listed (this does not include alcohol crimes which are listed).

Does crime mapping list only crimes in Van Buren Township? I border another city/township where can I check those crimes?

Check to see if the cities that border Van Buren Township list their crimes. Some do, including Canton Township & Ypsilanti.

If you would like to receive reports about crimes that surround areas important to you, click here and input the options that are best for your situation.
Filing a Complaint / Commendation

As servants to the public we strive to provide our citizens with outstanding services.  Please feel free to let us know how well our officers are doing!
By E-mail:
By phone: (734) 699-8930 and ask to speak to the shift supervisor
In person: You may come into the police station 24/7 to speak with the on-duty shift supervisor.

By E-mail:
By phone: (734) 699-8930 and ask to speak to the shift supervisor
In person: You may come into the police station to file a complaint form with the on-duty shift supervisor.

F.O.I.A. Requests

Freedom of Information Act or F.O.I.A. requests can be obtained from the Records Department. 
Click here for a fillable PDF of the F.O.I.A. form 

  • When requesting a F.O.I.A. please be as specific as possible. Include the case report number (if known), names, addresses, locations and exact dates (if known)
  • F.O.I.A. requests can take up to five days to process, and additional time may be needed depending on the volume of the requests. If extra time is needed you will be notified of such.
  • Requests can be submitted via Fax (734) 699-6469
  • Requests can be made by email by contacting Tina Harman at When sending email requests, please write FOIA Request in the subject line.
  • Requests can be made in person Monday – Friday 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM
If you have any questions, please contact the records department at: (734) 699 – 8939
Gun registration
Gun permits:

Michigan law requires a Pistol Purchase Permit to be obtained by an individual that does not have a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License and is purchasing a handgun from a private individual.

Those with a valid Michigan CPL may use a Pistol Sales Record form (Michigan State Police form – RI-060) which is available on the Michigan State Police website or at your local police department to complete a handgun sale or transfer.  Those purchasing a handgun from a federally licensed firearms dealer (gun store) may do so without a first obtaining a Pistol Purchase Permit. 

Pistol Purchase Permit Application Hours

Application must be made in person.  Applicant must present valid identification at the time of application.  Permit applications will be reviewed and approved/denied during the below listed hours.  Delays requiring the applicant to return, may occur due to personnel constraints or need for further investigation of the applicant based upon the initial state or federal  response to the application.

  • Tuesday 8am-3pm
  • Wednesday 8am-3pm
  • Thursday 8am-3pm

If you are unable to come to the station during the above listed hours, you may complete the application after hours and you will be contacted when  your permit is ready for pickup.

Completed Pistol Purchase Permits and Pistol Sales Record forms may be turned in at the front desk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

What are the police department hours?
Officers are available to file complaints and accident reports 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Registering a New Business

I have a new business in the Township; do I need to register it with the police department?

You can come into the police station to complete a “business card” indicating emergency contact numbers if there is ever a problem with your business.

School Closures

Does the police department know if schools are closed?

Unless an emergency situation exists, the school district does not notify the police department of school closings. You must listen to radio and TV news, or call the school directly.

Ticket/Court Information

34th District Court Website

The Van Buren Township community is served by the 34th District Court, located at 11131 Wayne Rd Romulus MI 48174. The court handles all civil infractions, misdemeanors, small claims, landlord matters, general civil matters.  For questions regarding tickets, or any of these issues please contact the court at: (734)941-4462. Hours of operation:  8:30 – 4:00 Monday – Friday.

You may also pay your ticket online through the 34th District Court Online Payment Portal. This is not run by the Van Buren Township Police Department and there is a convenience fee that is in addition to the citation fine.

Traffic Crashes

Q: I had a traffic accident on the roadway; do I have to make a police report?
The law requires you to make a report if you have over $1,000 damage to your vehicle. You have 10 days to make the report.

Q: I had a minor traffic accident in a parking lot; can you send a police car to take the report?
Yes, we will send a police car to your location or you may bring in your drivers license, vehicle registration, and vehicle insurance along with any other information from the other driver(s) involved. An officer at the police station will take the report.

Q: What if I have a non-injury accident on private property?
You should file a Private Property Accident Report in person at the Van Buren Police Department as soon as possible. This can be done at any hour or day.

Vehicle Impound Information
Impounds/Vehicle Releases:

Van Buren Township Department of Public Safety policy requires that a release be obtained by the registered/titled owner in order to secure the release of an impounded vehicle.  Vehicle releases are available 24 hours a day at the front desk upon providing the following information.

  • Registered owner with valid driver’s license –
  • Registered owner with valid identification and two driver’s with valid driver’s license (One to drive your vehicle and one to drive the vehicle that transported you to the police department)
  • Valid registration or title to vehicle
  • Valid proof of insurance for vehicle (May be faxed by your insurance company to 734 699-5329)   

$30 cash – release form fee

A vehicle which is unregistered, uninsured or for which no valid licensed driver can be obtained may be towed from the tow yard after obtaining a release from the police department to do so.  The registered owner would still have to obtain the release through valid identification, proof of ownership and fee payment.
In the event that the registered owner is unable to come to the police department, they may complete a “hold harmless” letter authorizing a third party to obtain the release of the vehicle on their behalf.  The hold harmless letter will need to authorize the release of the vehicle to a specifically named party, describe the vehicle to be released and be signed by the registered owner.  The letter must be notarized.  The letter may be delivered in person or faxed to 734 699-5329.  The named party must still hold a valid driver’s license and present the registration/title, proof of insurance and $30 fee.

*No vehicle or property in a vehicle, will be released without completing this process. 

All vehicles impounded by the Van Buren Twp. Police are taken to Great Lake Towing (42359 Van Born Rd, Belleville, MI 48111 734-397-1529) or J&T Crova Towing (287 Industrial Park Dr, Belleville, MI 48111 734-699-0584). Call our Dispatch Center’s non-emergency number at 743-699-8930. Personnel there will be able to advise you where your vehicle is being held. (Vehicle release charge of $30.00 is to be paid at the Van Buren Twp. Police station before your vehicle is released.)

Great Lakes Towing Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Saturday & Sunday by appointment only.
J&T Crova Towing Monday – Friday  9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Closed Saturday and Sunday.

(Due to COVID restrictions call before coming to either tow yard)

*The vehicle will only be released with proof of ownership

How do I get a copy of a crash report?
Vehicle Lockout

The Police department will assist with retrieving keys locked inside a vehicle if the owner is willing to sign a waiver of liability.

Call Dispatch at: (734) 699-8930